Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gone in 60 Seconds

  1. #1
    Inactive Member MattEBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2002
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's a link for my entry for this years 'Gone in 60 Seconds' competition.

    Comments, crits and rants are welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Intuition

  2. #2
    Inactive Member belovedmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2003
    Posts
    554
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the idea that the screen split in two was an interesting idea but what you actually did with it didnt really interest me to be honest. The story was alittle bit "seen it before" and i dont think the 60 second time frame allowed you to tell the story in a way that had any suspense or thrills.

    Im trying to think of some positives so i dont sound like a misrable git... but i cant think of any. Sorry.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    From what I could actually see of it it looked nice... I don't know if it was my monitor but it was just too **** dark. I like the idea. It's a bit "Sliding Doors" though.

    Like that guy said. The running time is the main problem.. By the time I worked out what was going on it was over. It left me cold.

    Despin out.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Vertino's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 1999
    Posts
    388
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good idea... the problem with these 60second films is that unless you go the TV Ad route (i.e. quick joke/gimick), then there is never enough time for the story to set-up, climax, then resolve.

    Intuition could be more promising if it had a longer length to work with... more like a 5 minute film, where you could see why it was important for the character to make her decision, then somehow bring both "split" character to the same conclusion... but that would end up being like Sliding Doors.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Micaso's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2002
    Posts
    66
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, it was really dark on my screen too.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member srenshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nicely done - good quality camera work, acting & and editing.

    I agree that it's a bit too dark in places and I also needed to watch it a couple of times to pick up all the details in both clips (I found it difficult to absorb all of the info' from both clips simultaneously). However, as already mentioned, this is a product of the 60 second restriction. Maybe with more time you could vary the pace in each storyline to 'encourage' the audience to shift their attention between the two clips to pick up the points you feel are most relevant. Alternatively, subtle fading, pausing or resizing of the clips might help to switch the viewer's attention and guide them through the overall narrative.

    Of course, this is just my opinion and maybe others found it very easy to follow the two threads in one viewing. On the whole though I thought this was quality stuff.

    Steve.
    DIGITALmotion

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Vertino's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 1999
    Posts
    388
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    What Mike Figgis did with Timecode 2000 was quite interesting... he shifted the audio from each segment to take the audiences focus...

    With this technique, the audience wasn't actually aware that their focus was taken from one segment to the next....

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MattEBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2002
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, the 60 second time limit doesn't do the piece justice.

    The first edit I did came to about 5 minutes, so I may do a re-edit which will tell the story a little bit better.

    It is lot to take in in just 60 seconds. I tried to make the left screen very plain with no real action so that you can just glance at it and know whats happening.

    And yes, Sliding Doors is a very comparable film, as is Timecode.

    Beloved Monster ---> Yup, the story is very 'seen it before'. Cheers for watching it though!

    I'll let everyone know when I've done a longer re-edit.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member MattEBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2002
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I forgot:

    About the darkness of it, I can fix that. I think my monitor must be a touch too bright.

    Plus, all of the right hand frame was filmed in pitch black, adn then several filters were applied to give it the look it has.

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by MattEBoy:
    I forgot:

    About the darkness of it, I can fix that. I think my monitor must be a touch too bright.

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Boy did you just say a mouthful!!!

    good catch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •